Work is underway on Stage One of the Melbourne Park redevelopment project, designed to secure the future of the Australian Open in Melbourne.
Expected to be finished in 2015, Stage One includes a huge water tank underneath The Oval and upgrades Margaret Court Arena with a new retractable roof and additional seating to increase crowd capacity to 7,500. Other works include:
- Eight new indoor tennis courts and 13 new outdoor courts;
- Warm up and warm down facilities for athletes;
- An elevated plaza providing new public space and a new eastern entry to Hisense Arena;
- A new landscaped entrance to Melbourne Park on Olympic Boulevard;
- 1,000 car spaces and up to 30 bus parks over two levels;
- An upgraded western entry to Hisense Arena; and
- A pedestrian bridge over Olympic Boulevard completing a direct pedestrian link between the MCG, Melbourne Park and AAMI Park.
WT Partnership assisted Melbourne & Olympic Parks Trust with the development of a business case for the project including provision of cost plans, conceptual estimates and design options resulting in the Trust securing project funding from the State Government.
View Major Projects Victoria’s flythrough of the masterplan